10.20.2006

Here are the pics of our finished tie-dye pieces. I wasn't able to get pics of us actually tie dying as I was too busy helping little ones dye things. In fact, by the time I got around to doing the baby's layette set, they were out of the "seafoam" green that I had the leader order for me to use for it. Everyone else was doing beach towels and sheets and used way much more dye than the leader had expected. It was such a fun day though, we all had a blast!What a bunch of "hams" I'm raising. Hannah was mad at Jake for "ruining" the shot....

This set still turned out cute I think. It was just supposed to be more of a "baby green" color. I'm going to either do a "Sweet Pea" design on the front or "Cute as a Button". I haven't quite figured all that out yet. I will post a pic when I get that part finished. Mom thought I was crazy for tie-dying something for the baby, I think she was thinking I'd come home with something very "artistic" (read wild!) given my artistic personality.
Jen ºÜº

7 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

One of my favorite gifts for Stacia was a tie dyed onesie and socks....I need to learn to do this - I love tie dye.

How easy do you think this would be to learn? I keep going to the store and picking up a kit and then putting it back. LOL

Chicken...

I'm More Than a Number said...

It's not hard to learn at all but I DO have a suggestion for you. Use a tie-dye kit from dharmatrading.com instead of a Rit dye kit. The Rit dyes don't "take" very well and always end up faded looking and can bleed onto other clothes in the wash. Plus, you have to let them sit in the dye bath for awhile for the dye to "take". The dyes from Dharma are "fiber reactive" and form permanant molecular bonds with the fibers and once you rinse the excess out, they will not bleed onto other clothes. Our leader mixed up the dyes into bottles and you just squirt the dye where you want it. You can also google ways to tie your shirts with rubberbands to get different effects. Let me know if you have anymore questions! It's so much fun:)

I'm More Than a Number said...

Two more things I forgot to add that might be useful for you if you do this. I put our stuff into individual gallon sized ziploc bags and we let them sit with the rubberbands and dye on them for about 5-6 hours. I then filled up my washer with water and the special "soap" called synthropol. Then I rinsed each piece until most of the dye was out of it and took the rubberbands off. Then dropped everything in the washer and let it wash on the longest cycle with an extra rinse.

I'm More Than a Number said...

Oh Oh Oh, one more thing LOL. After you get your shirt rubberbanded and before you dye it you need to thoroughly wet each piece in a soda ash and water solution then ring them out. I'm sure you can find the instructions for that on dharma. We also used Dr's gloves so that our hands didn't get dyed and we used a tarp in the yard to lay our stuff on while we dyed them. Ok, I think that's everything! Enjoy:)

I'm More Than a Number said...

Ok one more thing, I promise! We didn't use enough dye when we did our shirts. I didn't want to be a "dye hog" and thought I had put plenty but really there shouldn't be so much white on the kids' shirts. If you do this try and get the tip of the bottle down into the folds and use more dye than you think is necesary.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

So...you rubberband it, then squirt the dye down into the banded sections?

How much of this project did the kids do? Were they able to participate (4,7,9) or would they be watching ME do it?

Do you just combine colors as you want?

Jodi said...

The shirst are great and the baby outfit adorable!

Jodi from SHS